Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Why Customer Experience Efforts Fail, Part 4: Data rich, information poor

Most operations, and specifically contact centers, are at a competitive disadvantage in helping shape the company. Often, they are the ones that are shaped.

When it comes to customer experience, any company that ignores this gold mine will clearly be left behind in the wake of their competitors.

One of the problems that companies have is that they don't know how to mine and integrate contact center data so that it provides meaningful insight into customer behavior and subsequently, the customer experience.

If your website, billing system, IVR, and call center data does not have the ability to show the complete customer, you are data rich and information poor.

Let me share another personal case study where I knew more that company that was helping me.

My internet/cable/phone provider provided me with a promotional rate and I was making my monthly payments on-line. However, my payments were not being allocated among the divisions of this company, specifically, the internet division.

The first month this happened, I first thought I was hacked. When I called the company to get this resolved, they had to escalate it because from the agents perspective I was paid up and my account was restored.

The next month (on the 17th again) the same thing happened. So the company had treated the symptom, but not the disease and it cost them another phone call, a less loyal customer, and negative word of mouth.

Yes, it happened again the following month, but this time we got it resolved.

When you are looking to evaluate the customer experience, make sure you have the complete view. This may not be easy, but it will pay huge dividends in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment